Srinagar, February 17, 2026 : Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Tuesday expressed gratitude to Union Home Minister Amit Shah for ordering the reopening of 14 tourist destinations in the Union Territory that were shut after the Pahalgam terror attack in April last year.
Speaking to reporters on the sidelines of a function in Srinagar, Abdullah said he had repeatedly raised the issue of reopening tourist spots during his meetings with the Home Minister in Jammu and New Delhi.
“There was no purpose served by keeping these places closed. We did not shut them even during the worst of times. I was assured they would be reopened, and now the orders have been issued. I am thankful to the Home Minister,” he said.
The Chief Minister noted that prolonged closure had caused significant losses to local communities dependent on tourism and expressed hope that the reopening would revive visitor inflow to these “beautiful destinations.”
On Monday, the Lieutenant Governor, who heads the security apparatus in J&K, ordered the reopening of 11 tourist destinations in Kashmir and three in the Jammu region. These sites were among nearly 80 locations closed following the April 22 terror attack in Pahalgam that claimed 26 lives, mostly tourists.
Remarks on BJP Leaders
Commenting on the controversy surrounding BJP MLA Vikram Randhawa, Abdullah said that “the truth has prevailed,” claiming that a case was registered against the MLA for alleged encroachment of government land.
He alleged a pattern of inconsistency in the words and actions of Bharatiya Janata Party leaders.
Referring to Rajya Sabha MP Ghulam Ali Khatana, Abdullah alleged that despite being nominated from Jammu and Kashmir, a large portion of development funds was spent outside the UT.
Ramzan Power Supply & Daily Wagers
On electricity supply during the holy month of Ramzan, the Chief Minister said he would chair a high-level review meeting to ensure minimal inconvenience to the public.
Addressing protests by daily wagers, Abdullah reiterated that the government has committed on the floor of the Assembly to regularise their services this year through a time-bound process.
“There is no need for street protests. If someone is provoking them for political gains, they should not become tools. Dialogue is always welcome,” he said.














